Are you effectively leveraging your association’s website?
As the typical first point of contact for potential members and a key resource for existing members, it has the power to generate leads, increase retention, attract new audiences, and more. Yet many associations don’t have a process in place for maintaining this valuable marketing and engagement vehicle.
If your website isn’t getting the attention it deserves, here are six tips to make it an impressive and indispensable tool.
- Focus on relevant, up-to-date content. If your website is still displaying images and announcements from months ago, it’s time for a refresh. Make sure the latest news and upcoming program or event details are posted on a consistent basis. Sharing fresh, interesting content gives visitors a reason to keep coming back.
- Meet your members and prospects wherever they are. In other words, make sure your site is mobile-responsive. Even a beautifully-designed website chock full of valuable content won’t deliver the results you’re seeking if it’s only set up for desktop viewers. In recent years, smartphones have outpaced traditional computer use. Many people are even foregoing computers completely in favor of the convenience of tablets and smartphones. Respond by providing a mobile-friendly experience with web content that adapts to the size of the display and functions properly on any device.
- Create places to share useful information. It’s important to leverage every tool at your disposal to boost member engagement and your website is a crucial part of this effort. Make sure your website prominently features the many valuable resources your organization offers. Include sought-after features such as a member portal, career resources, and discussion boards.
- Use white space effectively. While you may think it seems like a waste of valuable page property, white space is actually an important element of effective web design. It performs multiple functions, including reducing clutter, drawing attention to certain content elements, and helping readers to better digest information. And because web surfers tend to have shorter attention spans, well-placed white space limits distractions so the most important information is front and center. As you consider your page layout, strive to balance your content and white space.
- Thoroughly and frequently check for errors. Don’t limit your review to spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes. Ensure all links are working and pointing to the correct destination. Test contact and registration forms to be sure they are functioning correctly. It can be easy to overlook mistakes on a site you see on a regular basis, so ask someone else to review it periodically with a fresh set of eyes.
- Maintain a blog. An active blog benefits your association in many ways. It gives you the opportunity to engage members by posting surveys, questions, etc. If you have expertise to share, your blog is the perfect vehicle to become a thought leader in your niche. Blogging also allows you to tackle specific subject matter, which is excellent for supporting SEO efforts.
Your association’s website is its single most important digital channel.
By designing it with the user experience in mind and some consistent attention to maintenance, you’ll increase your traffic and grow your membership base.
Every membership organization needs an appealing, effective website. If you’re seeking additional information on association website design best practices, turn to us. Our experienced professionals know what it takes for online success, so contact us today to get started.
About IBC: At IBC, we have a deep understanding of the critical business needs and processes specific to associations, non-profits, and unions. We ‘get’ your culture, your goals, and what drives you, too. Focused exclusively on and dedicated to delivering the most effective AMS, LMS, and Virtual Event Solutions for our clients, we’re well-versed in identifying and applying the integration techniques that will save you time and money. Since 2001, our cutting-edge products, unparalleled responsiveness, and award-winning services have helped organizations like yours increase their operational and financial performance by leveraging best practices and proven solutions. For more information about IBC, please visit the website at www.ibconcepts.com or call 443.603.0215.